The Gospel (Good news)
Scripture Memory for 2017
As part of delighting in God's Word, we are trying to memorize these scripture verses about the Gospel as a church family.
1. Man is Sinful - we need salvation
• James 2:10 - we've failed
10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it.
• Romans 3:10-12 - no one is righteous
10 … “None is righteous, no, not one; 11 no one understands; no one seeks for God. 12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”
• Romans 3:23 - we've all sinned
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
2. God's Holiness - God is Holy and must punish Sin
• Psalm 5:4 - God doesn't delight in wickedness
4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you.
• Hebrews 9:27 — all will be judged
27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
3. God's Redemption Plan — Salvation provided in Jesus
• Peter 3:18a — Jesus, the Righteous for the unrighteous
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,
• John 3:16-18 — God sent Jesus
16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
4. Man's Repentance — Man's responsibility in Salvation
• Mark 1:15 - Repent and Believe
15 … “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
• Romans 10:9-10 — Confess and Believe
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
• Ephesians 2:8-9 — Saved by Faith, not works
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
5. God's blessings in Salvation
• John 3:16 — eternal life
16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
• Colossians 1:13-14 — new kingdom
13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
• 2 Corinthians 5:17 - new creation
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
• Ephesians 1:13-14 - Holy Spirit
13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
6. Evidence of Salvation
• John 14:15 — Keep/obey God's Word
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
*All Verses are in the English Standard Version